Year of construction: 1954
Tonnage: 3700 GRT
Sunk: September 1981
Position: North side of Abu Nuhas
min. depth: 18 m
max. depth: 25 m
The Chrisoula K.
was launched in 1954 under the name Dora Oldendorff in Lübeck Travemünde/Germany. The ship was named after the daughter of the owner of shipping company. The freighter had an overall length of 101 meters and width of 15 meters. A 2 cycle MAN Diesel with 2.700 HP that accelerated the 3,807 gross ton registered heavy ship to its maximum speed of 13,5 knots. The Chrisoula K. has been on her way from Italy to the saudi-arabic harbour Jeddah.
After several owners
it finally changed to the shipping company Clarion navy and got the name Chrisoula K. It was under this name, which she began her last voyage, which was on 30. August 1981, in the area of the reef of Abu Nuhas in the Red Sea, with a freight of cheap Italian paving tiles. By a navigational error of the captain, the ship hit the reef and sank on the night of 30. August.
The wreck lies today
in a position which is optimal for divers, at a depth between 5 meters and 25 meters. The ship is in slightly inclined position, which is strongly damaged in the middle part, where it ran aground.
Among one of the absolute highlights
of this wreck is the hold, in which even today you can still find the fine and cleanly smoothed former cargo. A further motive for photos, is offered by the impressive propeller, with a diameter of approximately 4 meters. A funny motive offers a WC shell, which lies beside the wreck in the sandy soil
Due to the moderate current
and the small depth, trips are also recommended in the inside of the wreck, where one can find the opened electric cooker in the kitchen. In the cabins one can discover bathrooms with sanitation facilities, the engine room is only accessible with difficulty, but is however worth a trip, since in a secondary room, the former workshop is, where one can still find today the individual tools in the shop and on the soil.
The inside is partly very narrow and the floor is covered over with sediments. Whoever doesn’t feel too safe, shouldn’t take a trip within the inside the wreck! The reef of Abu Nuhas is often called in Egypt the wreck cemetery. The name translated means “the copper colored reef”, the name arises following the demise of the Carnatic in the middle of the 19. century. Besides a large number of bottles of wine, the Carnatic had a large quantity of copper plates on board. Meanwhile at the reef, there are altogether 7 wrecks, which have found their last resting place. From three there are only fragments present on the reef roof. The remaining four wrecks (Kimon M., Chrisoula K., Carnatic, Giannis D.) are as lined up next to each other on the reef.