Type: Sailing-/and Steamboat
Year of construction: 1870
Tonnage: 1989 GRT
Sunken: 16. August 1887
Position: Bluff Point, East Small Gubal Island
min. depth: 6 m
max. depth: 28 m
The wreck of this ship
was well-known for a long time only under the name Freighter of Gubal. Another, still common name is Cable Layer or Cable Layer from Gubal. Both of the later names find their origin in a part of the cargo of the ship: The cargo consisted, among other things, also of some cable reels from the company Siemens. Hereof, you can still look at some there today.
On the day of destruction – 16. August 1887 –
the S.S. Ulysses from London and Suez found itself on a journey to Penang, when she ran with her southern course into the straits of Gubal. In the early morning hours the misfortune happened – the S.S. Ulysses ran aground by Gubal Seghir (Little Gubal) on the reef north of Bluff Point!
Today the S.S.Ulysses
is upright on the reef, with the bow at approx. 5m depth in the shallow water and the stern at approx. 27m depth, approx. 300m away from the beacon on the north side of Gubal Seghir. In the past, it was in this depth still upright on the reef, today it lays here on its port side, probably because of the strong currents here.
Due to the conditions
caused by the current, it is advisable to do a bounce dive, in order to get quickly to the depth of the stern and to continue the dive behind the wreck, where you will be protected from the current. This is probably the most beautiful part of the wreck, here are still some details which have been preserved, such as, the propeller, railing, helm, winches and bollard. At the stern, there are also several things laying on the sea bed e.g. the captain’s bath tub and a considerable amount of pieces of broken bottles.
One can also dive
beautifully into the wreck from the stern to the mid-ship section. But be cautious! Beside the harmless glass fish, one often finds here lion fish and stone fish! Through the open shaft tunnel, one can come across other encrusted things, and to barrels with hardened contents. The wreck itself is however, somewhat open everywhere, so that everywhere there is enough light to have a look around, and also to get out everywhere again.
In the hull midships
one can still see the various steam engine pipes and lines with the corresponding valves and flywheels. Outside the hull midships, on the sea bed away from the reef, are still remnants of decks bodywork lying about e.g. a mast, spars, funnel and parts of the boiler outside of the trunk amidships at the reef-turned away sea-bottom.
When there is no current
one should take the trouble and examine the supposed way, which took the S.S. Ulysses down the reef. Here, under the reef, an old steam hoist with various metallic wheels can be found, together with much higher, then again and again pipes, ceramic insulators and packs of tiles.
On the balance,
is this wreck which does not deteriorate, but rather, has improved over the years, due to the beautiful vegetation. Because of its closeness to the reef, this wreck is usually visited by the zodiak. This in addition, is only possible, as long as there is little wind and waves present.